First Presbyterian Church
• OXNARD •
We are convinced that God’s mission revealed in the inspired Scriptures is to make all things new in and through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.
God, seated on the throne, said,
“I am making everything new!”
Jesus lived to show us a new way of living, died to free all creation from the power of sin and evil, rose from death to raise the world to new life, ascended to reign as God’s King of both heaven and earth, gave us the gift of the Holy Spirit to empower us for mission, and will return in glory to fully bring God’s Kingdom and to make all things new again, on earth as it is in heaven.
We respond to God’s gracious gift of Jesus by personally placing our trust in Him for forgiveness and new life, seeking to follow the way of Jesus and serve others in love, by the power of the Holy Spirit. As God sent Jesus into the world, so Jesus sends us to help Him accomplish God’s mission to make all things new. Praying our congregation’s daily mission prayer helps our hearts to become increasingly mission-shaped:
God, be gracious to us and bless us
and make your face shine on us
so that your ways may be known on earth,
your salvation among all nations. Psalm 67:1-2
GET TO KNOW THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
Through the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit, we trust in the one triune God, the Holy One of Israel, whom alone we worship and serve.
God comes to us in free and undeserved favor in the person of Jesus Christ who lived, died, and rose for us so that we might belong to God and serve Christ in the world. Sent by Jesus, we are engaged in the world, prayerfully seeking thoughtful solutions to the challenges of our time.
Jesus said, “Peace be with you!
As the Father has sent me,
so I am sending you.”
As Christ’s disciples, called to ministry in his name, we continue his mission of teaching the truth, feeding the hungry, healing the broken, and welcoming strangers. God sends the Holy Spirit to dwell within and among us, giving us the energy, intelligence, imagination, and love to be Christ’s faithful disciples in the world.
8 WAYS TO
Life in a church is richer and more personal when you meet people. We want to help you find the ways that are right for you to worship, care, grow and serve. All of it adds up to discipleship, which means following Jesus as we journey through the ups and downs of life. To connect at First Presbyterian Church:
- Subscribe to our weekly email updates on the “Connect” page
- Call the church office at (805) 983-0204 to speak with one of the pastors and make an appointment to drop by.
- Look in the weekly worship bulletin for activities that interest and challenge you.
- Stop by our Welcome station, fill out a “Friendship Card,” and drop it in the offering box.
- Introduce yourself to a few people as we pass the peace during worship, or at during coffee hour following worship.
- Attend a newcomers’ reception or membership class following 10 a.m. worship. These are held throughout the year for those who want to learn more about us and perhaps join the church as members.